- Ask for a free second opinion on your wisdom teeth
- Benefit from our dentists’ surgical experience
- Choose from three sedation options
Our dentists look at all of your teeth during dental exams. They’ll pay especially close attention to your third molars (wisdom teeth), which come in a decade or more later than your other adult teeth. Because of their late arrival, there isn’t always enough room for them in your jaw. These close quarters can cause problems that may lead us to recommend wisdom teeth removal in McKinney.Comfortable Care Read Transcript
Wisdom teeth removal is best done in the teenage years or maybe early twenties, just because as we age, our bone gets dense. That means our bone is less elastic and it doesn't let us get the tooth out in a more comfortable fashion. When you're young, your bone is flexible, so the tooth comes out much easier. So, that's when it's best done.
We still handle all the necessary emergencies that happen with wisdom teeth at any age. But we do have IV sedation options, or if you're doing a one or two wisdom teeth at a time, many times we just use local anesthesia and patients are very comfortable. And again, we do them efficiently, so they're not spending a lot of time in the chair, maybe an hour at the most start to finish for one or two wisdom teeth, and we can get them out.
And we're set up to do wisdom teeth because we do quite a few of them and it's become like a routine.
Like any procedure, you’ll likely feel less anxious having it performed by your family dentist rather than an oral surgeon you don’t know. We’ll ensure it goes smoothly with:
- Effective local anesthesia to prevent pain
- Three soothing forms of sedation, so you can choose the right level of relaxation
- Advanced technology, including an intraoral camera we can use to share images of your mouth with you
- A full explanation of the procedure before it starts, so you know exactly what to expect
If you think you may need a wisdom teeth extraction, call us today at 972-787-1869. Signs include tooth pain, jaw pain, and swollen gums. If you’ve discussed it with another dentist, ask our team for a free second opinion.
Don’t Delay If You Need A Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Not all wisdom teeth need to be removed. If they’re not causing any issues, we may recommend leaving them alone. However, common problems include:
- Crowding that affects other teeth and even your bite
- Teeth that are impacted (don’t come fully through the gums) or come in at an angle rather than straight, both of which make you more susceptible to gum disease and tooth decay
If you do need removal, we recommend having the procedure before the age of 25. Since your roots are less established, it will be easier and more comfortable to remove the teeth. In addition, younger patients typically enjoy a faster recovery. Once the teeth are removed, you’ll have more room in the back of your jaw. This makes it easier to keep your other teeth clean and healthy.
For wisdom teeth removal in McKinney, call Dossett Dental at 972-787-1869 or .