If you grind your teeth, you risk damaging tooth enamel to the point that you’ll need restorative dental care. You’ll also strain your temporomandibular joints (TMJ). These joints, which attach your jaw to your skull, can become so inflamed and irritated that it affects your ability to eat and even speak without pain. With TMJ treatment in McKinney, we can help you regain pain-free jaw function.Pain Relief for Your Jaw and Teeth Read Transcript
People with chronic pain, TM disorders or TMD as you call it, we can have night guard options. We can check your bite, do some adjustments on your bite, because many times it's your bite. Or it could be muscle related, and we can figure that out for you that way you can find the proper help or take the proper medication to be able to address your muscle pain. And sometimes it's stress related, and we can help you find the cause where you can manage it with your lifestyle. So unless we look at it, it's hard to determine because there's many causes of joint disorder pain, and it's something we'll have to look into. But we always help patients in pain, so that's one of the things we do look at on a regular basis.
We treat TMJ disorders with a custom mouthguard that will:
- Prevent pain from migrating from your jaw to your neck and shoulders
- Stop you from grinding your teeth and clenching your jaw, two habits that put pressure on your jaw and can also damage your teeth
- Allow you to enjoy sound and pain-free sleep
- Ease painful TMJ symptoms like headaches and earaches
Let us relieve your TMJ pain! Call 972-787-1869 to see if you could benefit from a custom mouthguard.
Prevent Dental Damage With A Custom Mouthguard
Grinding your teeth and/or clenching your jaw while sleeping are common behaviors often linked to stress. They can cause TMJ pain and also damage your teeth. Wearing a custom mouthguard will:
- Ease your jaw into a position that prevents clenching and grinding
- Save teeth from potentially costly damage
- Give your jaw a chance to heal by relieving pressure and tension
- Offer a fit more comfortable than a mouthguard purchased from a store
We May Suggest Behavioral Changes To Relieve TMJ Pain
A custom mouthguard will address your clenching and grinding. Stress management techniques can also be helpful. To relieve your pain and facilitate healing of your TMJ, you should also avoid these behaviors:
- Chewing ice or other hard substances
- Gum chewing
- Singing and similar activities that require you to open your jaws wide
- Poor posture
For TMJ treatment in McKinney, call 972-787-1869 or your visit online. Friday and Saturday appointments are available.